- My student Frieder Smolny has successfully defended his PhD thesis at TU Berlin. Congratulations on a wonderful achievement!
- My expository paper 'On Hamilton cycles in graphs defined by intersecting set systems' was accepted in Notices of the AMS.
- My paper 'A book proof of the middle levels theorem' was accepted in Combinatorica.
- Our paper 'Pattern-avoiding binary trees—generation, counting, and bijections' was accepted for ISAAC 2023.
- Our paper 'Traversing combinatorial 0/1-polytopes via optimization' was accepted for FOCS 2023.
- Our paper 'Kneser graphs are Hamiltonian' was accepted for STOC 2023. [Animation]
- Our paper 'Zigzagging through acyclic orientations of graphs and hypergraphs' was accepted for SODA 2023.
- Lecture on combinatorial generation starting in October (remote participation via Zoom)
- The Combinatorial Object Server is alive again.
About meI am currently assistant professor at the Department of Computer Science of the University of Warwick (office: CS2.24, phone: +442476522368, consultation hours: Thu+Fri 4:30pm-5:30pm or upon appointment). I am also affiliated with the Department of Theoretical Computer Science and Mathematical Logic at Charles University Prague. Previously, I was a postdoc in the research group 'Combinatorial optimization and graph algorithms' of Martin Skutella at TU Berlin. In 2015, I spent 4 months at Georgia Tech in Atlanta in the research group of Tom Trotter, supported by a fellowship of the Swiss National Science foundation, and before that 6 months at ETH Zurich in the 'Theory of combinatorial algorithms group' of Emo Welzl. Between 2012 and 2014 I worked as a software engineer at Supercomputing Systems Zurich. In 2011 I completed my PhD at ETH Zurich in the research group 'Combinatorial structures and algorithms' of Angelika Steger.
Research interestsMy research interests are in discrete mathematics and theoretical computer science, and in their applications to real-world problems. Specifically, I am interested in the following subjects:
- Combinatorial algorithms and discrete structures
- Graph theory
- Discrete and computational geometry
- Order theory
- Ramsey theory
- Random graph processes
- Combinatorial games
Students and grants
- Nastaran Behrooznia, University of Warwick, starting in Oct 2023 (funded by a Chancellor's International Scholarship)
- Namrata, University of Warwick, since Oct 2020 (funded by a Chancellor's International Scholarship)
- Arturo Merino, TU Berlin, Sep 2019-Jun 2023 (funded by DFG grant 413902284)
- Frieder Smolny, TU Berlin, Feb 2016-Nov 2023 (funded by DFG excellence cluster Math+; with Max Klimm, Guillaume Sagnol and Martin Skutella)
- Karl Däubel, TU Berlin, Feb 2016-Mar 2020 (funded by the European Regional Development Fund of the EU; with Yann Disser, Max Klimm, Guillaume Sagnol and Martin Skutella)
- Jerri Nummenpalo, ETH Zurich, Dec 2018 (co-examiner; supervised by Emo Welzl)
- GACR standard grant GA 22-15272S (with Petr Gregor)
- GACR standard grant GA 19-08554S
- Lecture 'Combinatorial generation—graphs, structures and algorithms' at Charles University Prague
- 2022 Workshop 'Combinatorics, Algorithms, and Geometry' in Dresden
- 2021 Workshop 'Combinatorics, Algorithms, and Geometry' in Wittenberg
CoauthorsI already had the pleasure of working with the following researchers and students:
Oswin Aichholzer, Gustavo Alonso, Michael Belfrage, Aaron Bernstein, Jean Cardinal (3), Herman Z. Q. Chen, Yann Disser, Karl Däubel (2), Elizabeth Hartung, Hung P. Hoang (3), Tony Huynh, Stefan Felsner, Martina Furrer, Petr Gregor (6), Dan Hefetz, Sven Jäger (2), Sergey Kitaev, Linda Kleist, Max Klimm, Kolja Knauer, Fabian Kuhn, Arturo Merino (9), Ondřej Mička (3), Marcel Milich, Namrata, Jerri Nummenpalo (6), Martin Pergel, Ueli Peter, Thomas Rast, Justus Schwartz, Leon Sering, Reto Spöhel (6), Joe Sawada, Manfred Scheucher (2), Frieder Smolny, Christoph Standke, Raphael Steiner, Patrick Stuedi, Pascal Su, Brian Y. Sun, Henning Thomas, Birgit Vogtenhuber, Bartosz Walczak (2), Franziska Weber, Veit Wiechert (2), Kaja Wille, Aaron Williams (2)